The One-Eyed King
A film by Marc Crehuet
A young man who lost his eye to a rubber bullet in a street protest attends a dinner party where, by coincidence, he meets the riot policeman who fired the shot. So begins a black comedy about the fragility of convictions, the nature of social roles and the search for truth.
“Excellent black comedy, superbly played and directed” (Marco Ordóñez. El País).
“The black comedy of the financial crisis” (Sergio del Amo. El Mundo).
“Huge!” (Pere Vall. Fotogramas).
“The One-Eyed King we found inventive and humorous, with a real lightness of touch in the writing” (The National Theatre of London).
Marc Crehuet is a 37 year old spanish writer and director from Barcelona. He’s mainly known there for his two season TV series Pop Ràpid, an acid sitcom with live musical performances of catalan indie bands, which he created, wrote, directed and produced with his independent production company Moiré Films.
He’s also the author of two theater plays: Connections and The One-Eyed King, which was a success in Spain and has been translated to 5 languages. Considering the great reception of the play, Marc decided to write an adaptation to cinema, keeping the same cast that interpreted the play. Although he wanted to be a film director since he was ten years old, life has taken him to work on telling stories in other formats, like television and theatre, and this is his first incursion to cinema. He believes that when you love to tell stories, the way you get to do it is not that important, and he wishes to continue his writing and directing in all the possible fiction formats, but movies are still his most important passion.
Festivals and awards
- Opera Prima Award – Festival du Cinéma Espagnol de Nantes
- Special Jury Award – Festival de Cine Político de Buenos Aires
- Best Film Award – International Forum in Avvantura Film Festival
- Best New Director nomination in Goya Awards 2017
- Best Feature Film in FIC-CAT
- Panorama Selection – Shanghai International Film Festival
- Official Selection – Cambridge Film Festival
- Official Selection – Transilvania International Film Festival
- Official Selection – Festival de Málaga
- Official Selection – Festival du Cinèma Espagnol du Toulouse
- Honorific Mention – Miami Film Festival (Jordan Ressler Screenwriting Competition)
- Official Selection – Spanisches Film Fest Berlin
- Official Selection – Spanisches Film Fest Tübingen-Stuttgart
- Official Selection – Spanish Cinema Week in Poland
El Rey Tuerto
Spain / Spanish / 2016 / 85 min
Moiré Films, Lastor Media, El Terrat, Televisió de Catalunya
Tono Folguera, Sergi Moreno, Santiago Aragonés, Rubén Mayoral, Xen Subirats.
Director of photography